Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Vampires, Werewolves, & Femme Action Heroes

Over the last few days we've watched three summer action movies:
League of Extraordinary Gentelemen, Van Helsing, and Underworld. I've heard varying reports on these, so I went into watching them with limited expectations. In each case I was pleasantly surprised.
L.E.G - It was probably the least of the three, but I would listen to Sean Connery read the phone book, so I wasn't unhappy. I never read the comic, so I had no preconcieved notions to be disappointed over. I was entertained. They mixed Quartermain, Dorian Grey, Jekyll & Hyde, among others. Captain Nemo was the most interesting character. Peta Wilson (La Femme Nikita) was Mina Harker - combination Vampire/Femme Action Hero.
Van Helsing - Paul hates this one. There were crap elements, like the Vampire baby sacs. But I really enjoyed the damn thing. Dracula, Frankenstien, Jekyll & Hyde, werewolves, Igor, secret papal societies protecting us from evil - what more could you ask for? It even has Wolverine firing a gas-powered automatic crossbow in 1890's. Kate Beckinsale is the sword & pistol-wielding Femme Action Hero.
Underworld was the best of these. Vampires vs. Werewolves. Lots of gunfire and Goth. This one was more stylish & noir than the other two. I like the storyline in this one better than the other two, but it was still mostly black leather & silver bullets. Kate Beckinsale was the Vampire/Femme Action hero in this one too.

None of these movies were all-time greats, but I thought they were fun & better than most of the crap on TV, which is all I ask from a summer movie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Just to make sure nobody missed it...Yes, Paul hated Van Helsing...dollar for budget dollar, it is likely the worst movie that I've had the profound lack to pleasure to see. Thankfully, I didn't pay to see it...see Ferlie's and my review earlier in the list.

December 29, 2004 at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home